Today President Trump will visit Grand Rapids, MI for one of his first campaign rallies this cycle and his very first visit after GM decided to close the Detroit-Hamtramck plant. After receiving at least $157 million in tax savings from Trump’s tax cuts, GM will send thousands of Michigan jobs to Mexico anyway — something the president repeatedly promised would not happen during a Trump administration. In fact, Trump made that promise in Grand Rapids, MI alone over 9 times.
- “The long nightmare of jobs leaving Michigan will be coming to a very rapid end.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, October 31, 2016 [10:15]
- “A Trump administration will stop the jobs from leaving America and we will stop the jobs from leaving Michigan. That I can tell you, 100 percent.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, November 7, 2016 [49:44]
- "After we win, I’m going to be coming back to Michigan a lot. I’m going to be coming back every time we open a new factory or a new automobile plant. And we will do it, we will do a lot of expansion. We’re going to do a lot of expansion, I know exactly what to do folks. We’re not going to lose your jobs anymore.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, November 7, 2016 [36:36]
- “We will lower taxes, unleash American energy, bring new companies to our shores and stop the companies already here from viciously leaving.” — Trump Grand Rapids Victory Rally, December 9, 2016 [58:12]
- “And we’re going to bring our Michigan jobs and Michigan workers back to work. We’re going to bring them back to work.” — Trump Grand Rapids Victory Rally, December 9, 2016 [34:07]
- “We will bring back your automobile production, and we will bring back your industry. Wait until you see what we do for Michigan.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, November 7, 2016 [38:28]
- “Let me start today by making a very important promise to you. When I win on November 8th, I am going to bring your jobs back to America.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, October 31, 2016 [1:23]
- “Your industry in Michigan is gonna start up big league again, with these car manufacturers, they’re gonna build right here now.”— Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, December 21, 2015 [43:55]
- “I will fight for every last Michigan job — you’re going to have plenty of jobs get ready.” — Trump Grand Rapids Campaign Rally, October 31, 2016 [2:30]
As one of the affected Detroit-Hamtramck workers put it “Anything [Trump] has said about jobs, taxes, he doesn’t care about how it affects anyone else. He’ll say whatever he wants to say and he’s solely about him…this is a rippling effect on people, small businesses, communities, Detroit itself, and it’s a travesty.” Watch here.